Here is the itinerary of my Kashmir Greater Lakes Trek: Tosamaidan-Yusmarg Circuit. Tosamaidan, also known as the Forbidden Meadow, is the base for many amazing surprises in the form of lakes, meadows, mountain passes, rivers, wildflowers, and exotic fauna. Tosamaidan was inaccessible for years, but now thanks to the dedication and hard efforts of local people from adjacent villages, Tosamadian is available for trekkers, nature lovers, hikers, mountaineers, botanists, zoologists, geologists & environmentalists. The end destination of Yousmarg, on the other hand, is a beautiful lush green meadow covered by pine forests and different varieties of wildflowers. It is a base for many thrills like rolling lush green meadows, lakes, treks,
mountain expeditions, and wildlife.
Table of Contents
Greater Lakes Trek itinerary
Tosamaidan-Yousmarg trek crosses through 12 Alpine high-altitude lakes, 12 vast meadows, 3 rivers, and a variety of flora and fauna, which soothes one’s eyes. The Kashmir Greater Lakes Trek itinerary details are as follows:
- Total Trek Distance – 68 km
- Trek Type – Mild to Difficult
- Average Elevation – 2500 to 4100 Mts (8750 to 14350 Ft)
- Best Time – Mid-June to End of September
- Starting Point – Tosamaidan and End Point – Yousmarg
- Highlights – Lakes – Shifanag, Gadtarsar, Damamsar, Sonduksar, Shupnag, Bandersar, Lokut Sar, Pamsar,Trusar (3 lakes).
- Meadows – Tosamaidan, Gulposh Valley, Chanze, Ashtar, Diskhal, Corug, Daanuer, Chaskinag, Liddermud, Mazikhanen, Frasnag and Yousmarg.
- Rivers – Sukhnag, Shaliganga, Doodhganga and Roomesh
The day-to-day Greater Lakes Trek itinerary
- Day 1 – Arrive at Srinagar Airport and proceed to check in at the hotel/houseboat. Local sightseeing of Srinagar City. Dinner, trip preparation, and overnight at the houseboat/hotel.
- Day 2 – After early breakfast, meet your vehicle at the parking and proceed to Tosamaidan (Approximately 70
Kms & will take 3 hrs). There is a rough off-road drive from Sithaharan to Tosamaidan. Arrive at Dam
Dam in Tosamaidan and start your trekking expedition. Lunch on the way at Shifanag then free time at
Shifanag spring. Shifanag has medicinal properties as there is a good amount of phosphorus in it. Later
continue with your trekking and by the evening arrive at Gadtarsar (Fish Lake). There are a lot of trout
fishes in this lake hence the name Gadtarsar. We will pitch your tents at Gadtarsar. Overnight stay.
Dinner and overnight stay at Gadtarsar in tents.
- Day 3 – After breakfast, we will leave our camp at Gadtarsar and trek to Damam Sar, Sonduk Sar and
Shup nag. If the weather permits, we will Sheenmaen Peak and enjoy the breathtaking views from there. There will be a packed lunch on the way. We will explore some exotic varieties of wildflowers. In the evening, we will head back to our base at Gadtarsar. Dinner and overnight stay at the Gadtarsar campsite.
- Day 4 – Today morning after breakfast, we will start our onward trek and visit more lakes, meadows & rivers. We will visit Bandersar, Lokut Sar, Pamsar, Sukhnag River, and Gulposh Valley, and finally, we will reach Chanze Meadow. We will pitch our tents at the vast Cnaze meadow. Dinner and overnight stay at Chanze Meadow.
- Day 5 – After breakfast, we will start our trek towards Ashtar meadow. We will cross through the Shaliganga River. Ashtar Valley is the most beautiful part of our trek and one can see Sunset Peak from very close to Ashtar. We will camp at Ashtar Valley and then head to a beautiful background of mountains. Ashtar Valley has an abundance of wildflowers and other medicinal herbs. Dinner and overnight stay at Ashtar Valley in tents.
- Day 6 – After breakfast, we will continue with our trek and visit Magrusar and Trusar (3 lakes) on the
way visit Daanuer, Chaskinag. After visiting Trusar, we will descend to Liddermud meadow. Enjoy the breathtaking views of the lofty Pir Panchal mountains and then descend further. Stop at Mazekhanen meadow where the Doodhganga River crosses the meadow. Overnight stay at Mazekhenen. Dinner and overnight stay at Mazekhenen in tents.
- Day 7 – After breakfast, we will pack our tents and trekking gear and proceed to Yousmarg via Frasnag Meadow. Arrive at Yousmarg in the afternoon and then, either we will check in at a hotel in Yousmarg or we will proceed to Srinagar and check into a hotel there. Later free time for relaxing at Yousmarg or Srinagar. Dinner and overnight stay at Yousmarg or Srinagar hotel.
- Day 8 – Proceed to the airport to board your return flight back home as per flight details.
Follow the rest of the Kashmir series
- 21 PHOTOS THAT MAY TEMPT YOU TO VISIT KASHMIR
- SRINAGAR TULIP FESTIVAL
- WALIMA, A KASHMIRI WAZWAN WEDDING FEAST
- THE MOUTH WATERING KASHMIRI CUISINE
- FAMILY FRIENDLY KASHMIR ITINERARY
- OFFBEAT KASHMIR ITINERARY IDEAS
- FLOATING VEGETABLE MARKET OF SRINAGAR
- GREATER LAKES TREK, KASHMIR: A PHOTO ESSAY
- TOSAMAIDAN, GREATER LAKES TREK DAY 1
- GADTARSAR, GREATER LAKES TREK DAY 2
- BANDERSAR AND ONWARDS, GREATER LAKES TREK DAY 3
- CHANZE MEADOW, GREATER LAKES TREK DAY 4
- DHISKAL MEADOW, GREATER LAKES TREK DAY 5
- YOUSMARG FINALLY, GREATER LAKES TREK DAY 6
RESPONSIBLE TRAVELING-BECAUSE I CARE